Some recent achievements for 2016-20 and major activities to be undertaken during 2020-24.
Conferences and meetings have been organized by Steering Committee solely or jointly co-organized with IGC, or IGU regional conferences, or in collaboration with other island studies organizations, such as International Small Islands Studies Association (ISISA) and Island Dynamics. During 2016-2020, major activities include,
- A Committee meeting and joint conference of three IGU commissions – “Geomorphology & Society”, “Political Geography” and “Islands” , held in Matzu Islands, Taiwan, June 25-30, 2016.
- Joint meetings of IGU Commission on Islands and the 16th ISISA (International Small Islands Studies Association) “Islands of the World Conference- the Changing Futures of Islands” in Leeuwarden and the Island of Terschelling, The Netherlands, June 10-14, 2018.
- Steering committee meeting and a joint Conference with Island Dynamics on “Indigenous communities, Indigenous Spaces- Tradition and Change in a Globalising World ” on Pongso no Tau (Orchid Island), Taiwan, Oct 1-5, 2018.
- Committee members meeting and organized session program together with Nordic Geographers Meetings in Trondheim, Norway, on June 17-19, 2019.
- A joint program with ISISA “Sharing Lessons, Sharing Stories” scheduled to take place June 22-26, 2020 in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic （postponed to June 14-18, 2021）.
- Strengthen communication networks among island geographic researchers and island communities, primarily through the Island Commission website, Facebook, and newsletters.
- Collaboration with IGU national committees and commissions to organize regional conferences in different regions around the globe. For instance, the Asia-Pacific region (e.g. in Indonesia, Japan, and New Zealand ) in 2021, 2023, 2024; the conference themes and locations will be discussed by Commission Members
- Collaboration with International Small Island Studies Association to organize the 17th and 18th “Islands of the World Conference” in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada- 14-18 June 2021 and in Zadar and area, Croatia – 13-19 June 2022.
- Islands & Local Development – Given concerns about sustainable development issues for small island vulnerable environments and local societies, the Commission would develop programs for the systematic study of island strategies for sustainability at the local level in response to global/regional changes. These efforts may provide valuable guidance for islands’ local development. The content to be discussed at the next Steering Committee Meeting to be held in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, in June 2021.
- Education Programs – In order to promote the study of island geography in education programs at all levels, the Commission will organize various workshops or educational programs for island geographical studies, young geographers exploration, young islanders programs, and so on.